Although not incorporated until 2003, the Specialist Cheesemakers as a group had been communicating and acting as an informal Association for around 20 years prior to this. Apart from technical cooperation, this forerunner also spent much of its energy in an advocacy role.
Currently our membership is comprised of about three-fifths Professional Members and two-fifths Associate Members
According to the constitution, the NZSCA Inc. is established with the following objectives within New Zealand:
• To encourage excellence in cheesemaking and hygiene.
• To present a unified voice for specialist cheesemaker discussions with Government, media and other parties.
• To promote awareness and appreciation of specialist NZ cheese amongst the trade and the public.
• To provide a forum in which members can exchange views and ideals of mutual interest.
• To provide members with information on matters affecting their activities such as legislation, marketing opportunities, technical assistance.